1. I am very proud to announce that I won the Ho-Ho-Holiday Display Off!
A hearty thanks to everyone who voted, and an even heartier thanks if you voted for me! The competition was fierce. It's true that Kaari held back and did not even feature certain display items around her yard--including a cute glowing Santa on her roof and this guy, who just may have put her over the top:
But hey, a display laid (via a blog post) is a display played. I will now immediately retire from Display-Offs, forever enshrined in Ho-Ho-Holiday Glory.
2. I took a one-day trip to Utah last week for my mom's 60th birthday.
I made that banner!
It was really fun to go without kids and celebrate (eat) with her and the fam. She's the world's best mom and cutest 60-year-old, no question.
3. My kids are so into making Christmas crafts this year. Our house looks like that scene in Elf after Buddy decorates the mall:
Here is our entertainment unit decked out in paper-chain garland:
I love it.
4. We got chocolate advent calendars from Trader Joe's. Benny ate his entire thing on December 1st, which I respect.
5. We had our gingerbread party with Tyler's family. My goal this Christmas season has been to spend less time in the kitchen. Instead of baking all the gingerbread this year, I used pre-made kits that I bought from Michael's.
It was wonderful. Get them for a dollar or two after Christmas and save them--mine were in perfect condition a year later.
6. My favorite thing to do instead of spending time in the kitchen is to watch Christmas movies with the kids or Tyler. My favorite is Home Alone.
I just bought Christmas Vacation and can't wait to watch it.
7. Christmas cards always take so much longer than I think they will, especially because we include a letter. Those puppies prevented me from sitting around watching Christmas Vacation, but now they are done so bring on Uncle Eddie.
8. I gave Tyler this small remote control helicopter for his birthday.
He loves it and the kids love it too. It's actually really great quality and was only $25 on Amazon (though the price goes up and down so watch it or google it--it's expensive on Amazon tonight!). Get it if you need something fun for a man in your life.
9. I made these for the ward Christmas party and have to show them off:
The best part is they are chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting--no sacrificing chocolate for cuteness.
10. Have a wonderful Christmas if I don't get around to posting again!